I have switched from working on game stuff for a short while now as I would like to renew the work we started doing with QuakeTectonics.
QuakeTectonics was an idea initially inspired by a research seminar at my university where a guest speaker came in to talk about some work that they had done with crowd sourcing as well as some input from my wife, who did her dissertation on how the magnetic field of the earth could affect earthquakes. The goal of QuakeTectonics is to attempt to predict earthquakes using the magnetometers in consumer smart phones. Some issues had come about to do with filtering of the incoming data, which is all that was stopping us from releasing a version to the app stores of both Android and iOS.
We had a device setup that was stationary collecting data, which managed to catch an interesting trend showing that we could notice a change in the magnetic field of the earth when there was an instance of northern lights around South Bend.
Whilst we have a lull in collecting data, I am going to rework some of the server API structure. At the moment we have a website, powered by the Lift web framework, providing the front end and the REST API. I first want to decouple these so that the API is a separate entity. I also want to set the API up to use an SSL connection to keep users logins secure, as at the moment it is just a simple HTTP Basic Authentication.